Latest Project During Holyweek 2019
395 years old historical landmark of Cagayan de Oro will have its SOLAR POWER INSTALLED BY ULRIC SOLAR! (09778301187)
The Saint Augustine Cathedral was built in 1624 by Fray Agustin San Pedro who was called El Padre Capitan by the residents here. In 1778, boththe church and convent were burned down. From its ruins, Fray Pedro de Santa Barbara, together with generous Cagayanons, built the new church which was inagurated in 1780. But, it too did not last long as it was gutted in 1831.
In 1841, the church was rebuilt using concrete materials. It was adorned with beautiful paintings of the four evangelists. It had a pipe organ. The wooden cross which stands today in the front of the cathedral, was erected in 1888.
Archbishop James Hayes, SJ, in 1946 rebuilt the Cathedral and the Convent until 1946. It was about this time that the stained glass, given by the New York Sacred Heart chapel, was installed.
793total visits,1visits today